|Cute and Mundane May 2011 Favorites|
1. Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Expresso - I'm preferring this to my usual color, black ink. It gives a softer look than pure black.
2. Bobbi Brown Extreme Party Mascara (not pictured) - My favorite mascara of those I've tried so far. It keeps my lashes pliable even after numerous coats, without getting clumpy.
3. NARS Single Eyeshadow in Coconut Grove - My new HG shadow. It's a dark slightly blackened matte brown that's smooth and pigmented. I found it's the perfect shade for my brows, and also great for darkening any shadow blended with it. I like combining it with both Dogon and Exotic Dance.
4. NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Dogon - A really special green-flashing taupe and blue charcoal reviewed here.
5. NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Exotic Dance - An interesting combination of white and gold I've used for a more natural eye. More here.
6. Dior Nude Glow Healthy Glow Summer Powder in Aurora - A lovely peachy flush. You can see a couple more pictures and thoughts here.
7. NARS Multiple in Copacabana - I got this as a part of my NARS cheek set. It gives a glowy highlight wherever its applied. I like to warm it with a finger then brush on in my cheekbones, nose, and chin as a finishing step to my makeup.
8. NARS Blush in Deep Throat - This month I've been feeling peachy, so I've been favoring this over NARS O. Peach gives a prettier blush (and not too much flush) when used with bronzer.
9. NARS Bronzer in Laguna - Also a part of the NARS cheek set (see swatch here). It's a tad darker than my other bronzers, which will be good for contouring in the summer months. It's huge and I have no idea how people use up an entire pan!
10. NARS Illuminator in Orgasm - Well, I just can't stay away from NARS O, even though I ditched the powder blush this month. The illuminator is such a different color. It's not really much of a color actually, it blends right into my skin, leaving only a really subtle sheen. I see why $30 for barely any color seems a bit much (I got mine as a GWP), however I wouldn't dismiss it right away. It's a long-lasting natural sheen that would look great when you're not in the mood to wear foundation or other makeup. I've also found that layering blush like Deep Throat over it can both enhance the color and life of the blush. This is a recent finding, so I still need to experiment. I bet Laguna would be the same for darker skinned gals.
11. Bobbi Brown Rich Lip Color in Bare Pink - My favorite lipstick as of late. I just tote it around in my purse all the time. It's pale beige pink that goes well with a stronger eye. My lips flush a lot so this is nice to tone down the color. I haven't written about these lipsticks yet, but the formula is love. I think the color selection leaves a little to be desired, but I'm sure it will grow over time.
The loser this month, for me, is my Bobbi Brown Illuminating Bronzing Powder (previously reviewed here). It's only received light use (as you can tell I've acquired a couple other bronzers), however it broke, when I pushed the button to open it. As in the button mechanism broke, so that it no longer closes. I'm keeping it shut with a rubber band. Not very glamorous, as you can imagine. I emailed Bobbi Brown Customer Service a few days ago. I'll let you know what happens!
I watched Roman Polanski's Chinatown tonight, which is a film noir from 1974. I need to see more old movies; I think I'm just in a classical mood lately. If you have any favorites, let me know! I haven't seen Gone with the Wind (gasp, I know) so that's probably a place I should start. Hope you enjoyed this month's favorites, thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!
P.S. I love reading other people's favorites, as much as I enjoy writing about them. If you need your May favorites fix, be sure to check out: Hopelessly Devoted to Makeup, Miss Diorista