Saturday, August 20, 2011
Makeup Minis currently in rotation
Here's a peek at the mini and sample size cosmetics I'm currently using. Like most beauty enthusiasts I have a large backlog of mini products I need to use. I'm pretty diligent about going through samples, but I still have many. In fact, I have a bag full of mini and full-size mascaras contains at least 20 tubes! For a while I used to do "Project 10-Pan" on my minis. It successfully cleared out a lot of clutter and I learned a lot from trying many different products. I no longer partake in "10-pan" but I have developed a habit of using minis in my everyday routine. I thought it would be fun to start a series where I share and review what mini cosmetics I currently have in rotation.
1. Love, Chloe Eau de Parfum- This smells like rose and powder. I'm a fan of florals, however it's a little too sophisticated for me. I prefer simpler and brighter smells.
2. NARS Orgasm Illuminator- This sample is really midget-sized, but I've been using it forever. I love the natural sheen it gives me. I had also accumulated two full-sized tubes and a larger mini-size tube. They would have lasted me at least 5 years, so I gave them away to my mom and aunt. If I ever finish a tube of the illuminator, I will most likely purchase a new one. I'm on the fence with skin-sensitivity. My skin doesn't react strongly against it, however I haven't ruled out a mild response.
3. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes pencil in 0L- I keep this in my makeup bag for touch-ups. I have a full-size version as well. The staying power is good on top of primer.
4. LUSH Vanishing Cream- I asked for a face cream sample at LUSH because I'm still looking for a moisturizer that I'm 100% comfortable with putting on my skin. I tried the Philosophy miracle worker sample that came in the Sephora VIB packet but had reactions to it. Sigh. So far, Vanishing cream is working fairly well so far.
5. Laura Mercier Full Blown Volume Mascara in Black- It's OK, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the volumizing capacity. I have to put on at least 5 coats before I'm happy. That said, I'm someone who really packs on mascara because my lashes are thin. I don't need a lot of length added, just volume. The name says "volumizing" however I find that this mascara is better for added length instead of volume. On the plus-side, the formula doesn't clump even after adding numerous coats. On the down-side the formula smells distinctly like chemicals. You can probably tell from my review that I won't be interested in purchasing a full size version.
6. Smashbox Photo-op under-eye brightener- This adds a subtle sheen in the undereye area. There's not a lot of pigment so it can't be substituted for a real concealer. To be honest, it doesn't really do much for me. You can still see the light shadow of my barely visible under-eye circles. However, I saw this on my friend once and it looked nice on her.
So that's all for today's Mini series. Do you use up your minis as well? Any good or bad finds?
Thanks for reading!